Result: a transparent box of very thin slabs and roofs; a green corridor of 15 m connects the outbuilding to the historical seat of the museum, built in 1903 by the late millionaire who gives name to it.
The contrast between old and new enhances the value of the exhibitions on display, including decorative arts, furniture, books, and upholstery. The glazed extension, however, holds only 185 square meters of the exhibition area.
The grandeur of the entrance hall is the highlight of Renzo Piano’s project who sought to enter it in the contemporary context from the application of sustainable solutions. Example is the reuse of water and a proper system of heating based on transmission of geothermal heat, which ensured the LEED certification for the attachment of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.